5.29.2008

Hooray for Montanas

Dia 38 until what I think is 41...
(Yes, I have lost track of how long we have been gone).

We took the overnight Cruz del Sur bus from Lima to Huaraz. We ended paying an extra 20 soles a piece (about 8 dollars) to ride business class in hopes that the comfier chairs would allow us some sleep. Sleep evaded Jimmy but I managed to get a little. We arrived in Huaraz as the town was waking up or as the all-nighters were finally going to bed, which is maybe why we witnessed a couple of boys getting into a fight on the street corner. Although the fighting could also have been a sign that Huaraz is not as "safe" as the other towns we have been in. On our first day there, we met some Peace Corps volunteers (one who sported a Peace Coffee shirt - yeah Minnesota) who had been robbed by someone using a key on their throats the night before. After that story we definitely took our strolls around the city with more caution.

Let me say thank you to Erin for recommending Huaraz to us. It is phenomenally beautiful. The Cordella Blanca (white mountains) are breathtaking and it is sad to think that we would have missed out on it without her input. You can see the mountains from virtually everywhere in Huaraz, although my favorite spot was from Cafe Andino which also had the first great coffee that I have tasted on this trip. (It also had Scrabble, which Jimmy and I indulged on more than one occasion).

We spent our days doing day hikes, the biggest trip being to Laguna Churup at 4450 m - the highest I have ever hiked to. The trip was gorgeous, but I have to say that once again the Andes kicked my butt. Altitude and me don´t mix very well, but I did finish the trek to the lake and it was gorgeous. Imagine Rocky Mountain lakes, but with more impressive glacier clad mountain-tops. I dropped my fleece on our way down and Jimmy went running after it in a sleet storm, miraculously finding it along the trail. We also hiked to ruins of the Wari culture (pre-Inca). We met a kid along the way who decided to become our impromptu tour guide with his friend after dropping off his school bags. (He didn´t skip school - he was on his way home). On our last day in Huaraz we went rock climbing with a guide (as we didn´t bring any of our stuff and needed gear). It was fun, and we both realized how long it has been since we have been out climbing.

We are now back in Miraflores/Lima, doing the last minute shopping and trying to rest before our long trip home. We hope you have enjoyed reading about our journeys and we hope to be able to share stories and pictures in person soon.

1 comment:

jimmy said...

Let´s do a better job of explaining a dropped fleece. There was about 500 feet of elevation to be run/walked up (50 stories) and back down in the hour long hunt. The sun was setting. It was sleeting. We were still miles away from our ride home. The fleece was grey and so was the ground and the only place I could imagine her dropping it was about an hour away.

After finding her $150 fleece, I am told that she was really more worried about her $10 hat that was in the sleeve.

Ahh...what I do for love.