Jimmy and I refuse to celebrate Valentine's Day, but ever since we met we have celebrated my half-birthday which is Feb 13th. Kind of a leftover celebration from childhood, as I was unable to celebrate my summer birthday in school, so got to bring in treats on my half birthday. Yesterday was the first time we haven't been together to celebrate my half-birthday. Jimmy was a little distraught when he discovered this, but he made a way to make the day special by writing me a poem. It was sweet.
Back to life in Belize. Yesterday started out with a trip to the market where I stocked up on fruits and tried a Belizean fruit called Caimito or Star Apple. It was super sweet and maybe a bit overripe as it is suppose to taste like grapes according to the internet. :) Clinic was slow. Although I had an interesting run-in with a patient who was probably an untreated schizophrenic. He grabbed my face and then tried to grab mg again while leaving. It made me very uncomfortable. At least nothing worse than that happened. Last evening we went to watch traditional Garifuna dancing and drumming in PG. We also tried it ourselves... well I was forced to but it was fun in the end.
Today mobile clinic was canceled, no not because of Valentine's day, but because our medical director's back still is not better. Thus we headed to Blanco Grande National Park to hike and swim. The others all jumped off the cliff, but I couldn't do it. You would like that I would be okay with heights and falls after rock climbing, but I am not. A little strange. Tonight holds perhaps dinner in town. Pat, a nurse practitioner from the States, has offered us a free lift into town. Free rides are always nice. That's all for now. I think we are heading to Cockscomb Wildlife Sanctuary this weekend. I'll tell you about on Monday.
No comments:
Post a Comment